Friday, October 30, 2009


It has been said that no matter how bad things may be for you that there is someone in the world who has it worse. The way things have been going lately, I would sure hate to see that person. Sometimes I feel like I could add a chapter or two to Job.

I recently received the above picture from a friend and it brightened my day to know that some may have it even worse with animals in the deer family taking over their yard. I’m going to have to stop complaining about my deer after seeing what those poor people in Montana have to put up with. The elk are larger but my deer make up for the difference by sheer number. There are now about 30 of the scrawny pest eating my foliage.

I’m still studying effective deer deterrents and so far I have found that there are none. My book on poisonous plants hasn’t even helped. One of the most lethal poisons in the world is ricin, which comes from the bean of the Castor Bean plant. The Castor Bean plants are pretty common and have a big leaf. Some people have planted these in their yard because they are supposed to keep flies away. The problem is that the deer love the leaves of the plant, which are tasty and nonpoisonous. They don’t eat the beans.

I had always thought that the human was the most intelligent of the species. After living on the planet for several decades and being part of that group I’m convinced that is untrue. The deer are the most intelligent of all the animals even the fox and dogs. They just roam around eating anything they want and are protected by the law. They are very promiscuous and apparently have a lot of fun just breeding with each other with no major objections from others in the herd. The does don’t seem to be the least bit jealous and don’t really care who they breed with. There are some in the human species who exhibit similar behavior but they frequently end up in jail or the morgue.

I guess the best thing is for me to just give up on the deer problem. If we build another home we will probably have a rock yard in the desert. With my luck there will be something else to contend with such as scorpions, Gila Monsters and such. I would probably still have a porch just to admire the absence of deer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Why do dogs get picked up as strays but not deer? Where is the justice? Sometimes we have no choice but to take the law into our own hands or should I say guns and rid the earth of these nasty pests.

10:35 AM  
Blogger jeff ludwick said...

This is probably not possible, but...is there any chance that someone somewhere does deer exorcisms? If such a person exists and could also expand their exorcism trade to include bankers and politicians as well as deer they could make millions.....

6:06 AM  
Blogger B(O)B said...

In Omaha, the "yard" varments are rabbits & opossums in the spring, summer & fall. But your dog will usually keep them at bay... AND I don't want to trade you for the deer!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home