Saturday, August 04, 2007


Even though I was on vacation last week I couldn’t miss reading the last Harry Potter book. Since the series began I have been a Harry Potter fan mainly to be conversant with my grandchildren on the subject. I have also come to love the books and the story.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the final and also the best of the books and brings everything into clear focus. The reader finally knows what everything is about and who are the true good and bad guys. There are a number of surprises and sadly a number of deaths. The deaths are not nearly as numerous or as bad as I suspected from all the hype which preceded the book’s release.
Some Churches are down on the book because it contains witchcraft and other fantasy. I simply don’t understand their objection when they approve of C.S. Lewis and many of the stories in the Bible.
Harry Potter is about good over evil. He even gives his life to destroy evil and is resurrected from the dead for good to triumph over evil. Is that a familiar story? It is not only the most important story in the Bible, it has been repeated in many tales such as C.S. Lewis’s story The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
People who are down on Harry Potter for religious reasons obviously have not read the books. Like Huck Finn said, “That is just the way with some people. They get down on a thing when they don’t know nothing about it.”
One of the most remarkable things about the Harry Potter story is the author. J.K. Rowling started from nothing and was infatuated with an idea which she transformed into a beautiful story that captivated the imagination of millions and in the process made her one of the wealthiest women in the world.
I have been served well by reading the stories. I have enjoyed the books and gained much pleasure from reading them. Of greatest importance, I can talk to my grandchildren and am made to feel as young as they are. I’m also reading some much heavier and more depressing stuff as I sit on my porch in Salado, called the newspaper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home