Tuesday, October 31, 2006


Halloween is my favorite day of the year. Everyone is in a festive mood. Christmas is supposed to be the best day of the year but it is very depressing thinking of all the Christmases past and those who have passed on. Society has long ago forgotten the meaning of Christmas. Halloween is the day of the dead where we celebrate the memory of those who have passed and we make a big party out of the affair.
Each year I try to pick the costume I think best characterizes that which is most frightening and hideous. It has always been fun to evoke terror and fright in someone by a scary story or shocking costume. This year’s award for the most hideous image epitomizing horror is not a costume but a building. The new hospital building at Scott & White wins hands down. What you see on the hill is not a building under construction but one that is completed on the outside. It not only evokes fright at seeing it but extreme nausea and chest pain. For me personally it has also produced tears and embarrassment. My only hope now is that someday, someone will complete the outside. Until then it stands as a daily reminder of that which is most frightening at Halloween.

2 Comments:

Blogger jeff ludwick said...

Gus would probably say "I wish I could have seen that building before all of the doctors and board members got 'ahold of it."

Be careful tonight, there will likely be a number of people disguised as football coaches, administrators and politicians tonight and things could get testy.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Michelle Montgomery Wright said...

Last weekend when we were in Temple, Mark, my husband, asked what is that building as we were driving to Little Mexico resturant. I told him it was the new addition to Scott & White. He was shocked because it did not look like part of the facility at all. He could not believe it! It is very disappointing. I also feel kind of like Rip Van Winkle when I come home to Temple. Scott & White had always been a welcoming landmark on the horizon that would be the first to welcome me home. Now when I see it, I am saddened to not see the cicular parts of the building that made the S&W architecture unique. One would think with it's strong connection to Texas A&M, that there would be a some feeling of tradition about the place. I now just try to remember how it once looked and pray that the quality of care does not decrease along with the appearance of the building which had always been a central Texas icon.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home