Monday, June 20, 2011


A lot of words seem to be disappearing from our everyday language. Words like; thank you, excuse me, pardon me, I’m sorry, and hello are used much less frequently than in years past. Many older folks still use the terms, but they are becoming extinct in the vocabulary of the young.

Today, was a good example for me. I went to the post office to mail a couple of letters and on exiting rushed to the door to help a young lady struggling with lugging a baby in one of those large baby seats. I successfully got the door open for her to make an easy exit and she said nothing. No thank you, kiss my foot or anything. If I had dropped over with a heart attack she would have just stepped over my body and kept going. Unfortunately, her actions are becoming all too frequent and the norm for today’s society. I was raised adhering to the Boy Scout Oath and have tried to help those in need or in distress. I also said “thank you” if someone helped me, and “excuse me” if I inconvenienced anyone. Rude is now the expected behavior.

Personal correspondence is a thing of the past. Most of this is now by e-mail or texting. With texting there is no greeting. With e-mail and a rare letter the greeting is now “Hi.” “Hi” has replaced “hello”and "Dear." It’s a much more informal world, so I guess “Hi” is the appropriate word.

Finally, the words “I’m sorry” are rarely uttered in this day and time. Nobody apologizes for a goof, it’s always someone else’s fault. There are so many lawyers; they have indoctrinated us in this philosophy. Every error is somebody else’s fault and they must pay.

For a few weeks we are living in a temporary house while our new home is completed. I don’t have a porch to calm me down, so my blogs are the ravings of an old man. I don’t even have the deer to rant about anymore. I awake in the morning and look at the drought, parched yard in this place and am blessed not to have a herd of deer staring back at me. I’m not sorry about that and also say thank you for the ordinances or whatever that keeps them off the city streets.

1 Comments:

Blogger jeff ludwick said...

Our parents and grandparents would faint if they saw and heard they way people act now. If you say "hello" or "how are you doing" to a stranger in these days and times they look at you like you are an alien and probably are secretly gripping a taser gun in their pocket to knock you down. Most humans now are like cats. They just stare at you blankly. At least my dogs, cows and horses still have affection for me and all still happily wag their tails when they see me coming. Of course politicians will do the same thing until they are elected and then they become cats also....

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home