Thursday, August 30, 2007


Recently deceased real estate billionaire Leona Helmsley, also know as the “Queen of Mean”, left her dog, Trouble, 12 million dollars. Trouble, a white Maltese, will also be buried alongside her in a mausoleum.
Mrs. Helmsley had four grandchildren. Two will receive 5 million each, if they visit their father’s gravesite once a year. The other two kids got nothing. They must have really hacked her off at one time or another. The bulk of the estate goes to the Leona and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust. Leona apparently managed to hang on to most of what she made in her life rather than paying taxes. She once said, “Only the little people pay taxes.”
Being a dog is not all bad. We once had a great dog, named Hero. He was a beautiful Collie and was part of our family for 13 years. He preceded me in death, but even if he had outlived me, I couldn’t have left him anything because I am one of the little people Helmsley talked about. Everything I have goes to taxes.
I have often said, I wanted to be like my dog when I retired. He had a great life. He slept when he wanted. He might be up half the night chasing something but would snooze during the day. He was well feed and groomed. When it was too hot, rainy, or cold he would come to the back door, whine a bit, and then be admitted to the utility room, which always had an ideal temperature and kids to pet him.
Neither Helmsley or I will be able to take our dogs into heaven. I don’t think she has a lot to worry about on that one, but if she did make it she couldn’t take Trouble. Mark Twain one said admission to heaven is by favor, not merit. If it was by merit the dog would be admitted and you would stay out.
If Hero was alive today he would be keeping me company on the porch in Salado. I miss him a lot. Mrs. Helmsley was a bitch herself, but I understand how she felt about her dog. 12 million for the dog does seem like a little much compared to the 5 and 0 for the grandkids.

1 Comments:

Blogger jeff ludwick said...

Perhaps this is a good example of why so many young people today suffer from "depression" in our country. Even if my grandkids were tacky to me I would not leave my estate to my dog even though I have had some I truly loved. Most would have either wet on the money, buried it or torn it to shreds. This case will only lead to two more "depressed" people. After a great deal of research I have determined that I will probably never get to be "depressed" because I don't have enough money or time. I am too busy taking care of my family and my job to indulge in depression. Apparently that is why my parents and grandparents were never able to be depressed...they were in the same boat that I am in.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home