Tuesday, August 14, 2007


This week I was ask to serve on a review board for a local boy scout troop. This board or panel of folks ask questions to a scout who is moving up in rank to make sure they know their stuff and deserve promotion. The scout moves from Tenderfoot to Second Class to First Class to Star, Life and finally Eagle. The review is a great thing for them to do because it puts them under a little pressure which is good experience for interviews in the future. Everything they do in scouting is invaluable experience for the future and results in a better citizen and all around better person. It has been shown that Eagle Scouts fare much better in life than the average person. Most go to college, end up with higher incomes and are the leaders in our society.
I was a scout many years ago but unfortunately didn’t make it to Eagle. In my case I had no one to encourage me and had other obligations. It does take a great deal of encouragement from adults and some time away from TV, but it is worth every bit of it. There is much more to scouting than camping, although that’s one of the things the kids love the most.
I was most impressed with the way the scouts ran their meeting. I’ve seen professionals who didn’t do as well. They were orderly and disciplined while having fun. When I questioned the scouts about what they had learned while earning the various merit badges I was amazed at the depth of understanding they had gained about the subject. It’s a great way to learn and I’m sure the projects may spark an interest for a future career.
We would all do well to live by the Scout Law. Be Trustworthy, Loyal, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent. It would be great if the Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhist, Hindus and Atheist adhered to these laws, we wouldn’t be so busy fighting. For those who oppose the Ten Commandments to be on public display the Scout Law might do the trick, but I’m sure there would be those who would object. Even the Boy Scouts have come under fire in recent years.
Anyway, I sure enjoyed my experience with the scouts this week and am very happy my grandson is a member. Also happy that I have a granddaughter who is very active in the Girl Scouts and has not petitioned to be in Boy Scouts. I do hope she may someday marry an Eagle Scout as her mother did.
From now on while saying my prayers and reading a chapter from the Bible while on my porch, I think I will recite the Scout Oath and Law. It sure does me a lot more good than reading the paper or listening to the news about the war, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, murderers, molesters, politicians and others in the trade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home