Monday, August 29, 2011


I have to admit it. Al Gore is right. We have global warming. This summer has been the hottest on record and we haven’t had a drop of rain. The east coast has just been battered with Hurricane Irene, so I know there must be rain somewhere on the planet. I just wish a little of it cold be diverted to Texas.

As I have aged the heat seems to bother me more than ever. I am also a sissy when it comes to air-conditioning and must have it to survive. Hemingway wrote this neat story about an old man who wanted a clean well-lighted place. My revision to the story would be a cool, clean well-lighted place. The cool air is now a basic need, like food and water

I grew up without air-conditioning and thought nothing about it. My only exposure to the luxury of refrigerated air was in a movie theater. I guess that’s one of the reasons I love movies so much. I went through college without air-conditioning. It’s a miracle that I made it. Now, if the temperature goes above 75 while I’m reading a book, I fall asleep.

So, here I am complaining about the weather in the blog. The weather is always a favorite topic of conversation and something people like to complain about. Last winter it was too cold and about a year ago we had a flood in Central Texas. We are never happy.

The weather is never just right. Farmers never have it perfect for their crops. This week, Hurricane Irene battered the East Coast. People were warned for several days. Now that the hurricane has passed and was slightly less devastating than predicted people are complaining that much of the warning was a bunch of media hype. We should be thankful that the storm warnings are as sophisticated as they are and save countless lives.

Folks are never happy with the weather regardless of what is happening. When I lived in Hawaii people complained because the weather was always nice and never varied. We humans are just an unhappy lot when it comes to the weather. At least, the weather gives us something to talk about. The current heat wave and drought are even causing me to read the Bible more. I’ve been studying Revelations and the prophets to see if the earth may be gradually transitioning into hell. I don’t mean to complain but it sure seems like that is the case.

1 Comments:

Blogger B(O)B said...

Yes... the weather has certainly been unusual this year, but I'm still not convinced of "Global Warming". I can remember very unusual weather in western Nebraska as a kid. Just turn the AC down & the TV off. Get a good book & enjoy every breath, cause the weather is gonna change.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home