Monday, January 03, 2011


The Holidays have now passed. I had a great time, but am now exhausted and depressed. Our family is together a lot during Christmas and New Years, and we have a lot of fun, and eat too much. Our last family party is usually the Saturday after Christmas when we get together with my spouses brother, sister and their kids, grandkids and now great grandkids.

For us in Central Texas the end of the Holidays is an hour after the lighted ball in Times Square drops. In days past, we would listen to Guy Lombardo’s Orchestra play Auld Land Syne, and would sing along. Auld Lang Syne means “for the sake of old times.” They don’t play that song much anymore. All the entertainment on TV and in Times Square on New Years is Rock Music and Rap with deafening noise and words that can’t be understood. I sure miss hearing the melody of Auld Lang Syne coming from the saxophone of Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians.

The only familiar thing on TV is seeing the face of Dick Clark, although it is now distorted by his stroke. They have him sitting up and he utters a few unintelligible words with his paralyzed tongue. It’s almost pathetic, but it does remind me of times past.

One of my best New Years celebrations was several years ago. We attended an all Tchaikovsky concert by the Houston Symphony. Ever since, I have associated that great composer with New Years. That same year we stayed up all night with our friends, and ended with a big breakfast. I can’t do that anymore. If we stay up to see the ball drop, I likewise drop into bed and am asleep within a couple of minutes.

At my age, from now on, I think I will restrict my celebration to the porch. I will just keep the TV muted and play my old recording of Auld Lang Syne by Guy Lombardo.

1 Comments:

Blogger jeff ludwick said...

uMost people under the age of 50 have no idea what Auld Lang or the song mean. When I was a kid i thought the adults were singing "old Lang's sign" and never could figure out what the sign was. It is hard for me to celebrate the new year now since I am usually in bed by 9 but I am sure it was 2011 somewhere by then...

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home