Wednesday, February 17, 2010


I recently had some excellent therapy for my depression related to the economy and the state of our country. The inactions of our Congress and the gridlock in Washington are enough to make anybody depressed. The unemployment figures, increasing national debt, unsettled stock market, cost and availability of healthcare, cooperate thieves, fraud, church fires and a host of other things makes me very worried about the future for my grandkids. This extraordinarily cold winter has also made me more depressed.

My recent therapy sure helped lift my spirits and give some hope for the future. The therapy was an exposure to some of the musical activities of my grandchildren that usually occur in the spring. One of my granddaughters was part of a musical production by her high school. The production was Seussical, a musical based on Dr. Seuss characters. Next, two of my grandchildren were selected to play a few numbers with a Russian Chamber Music group who performed in Temple. The group is called Chamber Orchestra Kremlin and they were absolutely fantastic. Finally, one of my granddaughters made All-State Symphonic Orchestra and performed in San Antonio this past weekend. They played the 5th Symphony of Shostakovich and were as good as any professional symphony I have ever heard. That symphony by Shostakovich is a journey for the soul. As a matter of fact, all of the combined musical performances, I experience, were a journey for my soul.

Before the All-State Orchestra performed, the President of the Texas Music Educators Association made a few remarks about the kids who were about to play. The kids involved in music have a much higher SAT score than average, and more go college and on to successful careers. Most of these kids will not major in music but are excellent students in math and a whole variety of subjects.

Looking and listening to these various musical programs gave me a lot of hope about the future. The young folks seem head and shoulders over what I was at their level a half century ago. I have hopes that they are smart enough to fix many of the problems we have created and will help America stay competitive with the rest of the world.

I hope some of these kids will go into politics and public service and straighten out this mess. Unfortunately, politics, and the law have become so corrupt that bright young folks avoid these career paths. It is also unfortunate that medicine and the ministry are not far behind politics and law. I only hope that if they become investment bankers and CEOs they will not follow in the footsteps of the present criminals who currently occupy those jobs.

Anyway, this musical experience gives me some comfort and peace of mind. Now, if I can just see some signs of spring from the porch I will feel even better. I may have to wait for the budding of the pecan and mesquite trees before I am completely rejuvenated. Meanwhile, I will just listen to a little Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky’s Serenade for Strings and even read Dr. Seuss to help my soul journey into spring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Those grandkids are something else!

8:38 PM  
Blogger jeff ludwick said...

Why aren't grandkids like yours on the front page of the newspapers every day??!! As bad as our government has screwed things up we all still have a chance as long as young people like that are still around. Hurray for the Montgomerys! And they don't even play football........

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home