Friday, January 15, 2010


The earthquake in Haiti is a terrible thing. It’s probably the worse natural disaster in my lifetime. There may be as many as 100,000 deaths and utter destruction of the Capitol of Haiti. Yesterday, Televangelist Pat Robertson, of 700 Club fame, said the quake was because the people were cursed and because they had a pact with the Devil. It’s like they had the same fate as the city of Sodom and Gomorrah in the Bible where the place was destroyed because of the wickedness of the people. I thought that the quake was produced by a shift of unstable faults in the earth and the pressure associated with the faults. This will likely happen in other places with similar unstable faults like Los Angeles and has already occurred in San Francisco. Pat Robertson could argue that these are also sin cities and get what they deserve. Things were made worse in Haiti because of the shoddy construction and extreme poverty associated with these descendants of slaves.

I have had some friends who were very strong Christian believers who experienced terrible tragedy in their lives and it’s hard to believe they were cursed. I think we are cursed to have someone with a mouth like Pat Robertson who is judging folks and meddling in the Lord’s business. It’s seems like he would do much better as an spokesman for God by telling us how we can cope with tragedy and then trying to help the folks in Haiti by sharing with them some of his considerable wealth and good fortune.

Speaking of help, I noticed it’s the Ugly Americans who have come to the rescue of the poor people in Haiti. I haven’t seen any planes from the Muslim countries flying there with aid. There haven’t been any Russian planes either. The Muslims don’t care. They are a little like Pat Robertson and think it’s okay for the infidels to die. They are getting what they deserve by not believing right.

The other thing of interest about the Haiti situation is the news coverage. I don’t care a lot for some of the folks on CNN but they have given the most extensive coverage. On Fox, Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity continue to bad-mouth Obama as if nothing else matters. It’s also interesting how slow the aid is coming to Haiti. It’s almost like Katrina all over again. The media is down there in full force several days before the help that’s really needed. I’m sure it’s George Bush’s fault. I think the news media should be in charge of the relief effort with Anderson Cooper as the leader.

I’m sure with all the maladies I have suffered Pat Robertson would say I’m cursed. I think otherwise, because the Creator has provided me a piece of heaven here on earth with the comfort of my porch and the support of my family and friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger jeff ludwick said...

I am convinced that Pat Robertson is much smarter than I am as he has more money than the country of Haiti itself. However I think he may be off base on the theory that the quake is a result of the people in Haiti being "cursed and having a pact with the devil".

The simple fact is that if that is the way God works then Washington D.C. would have been swept away in a firestorm that would make Sodom and Gomorrah look like a campfire.....and most of the TV evangelists would have gone into the black hole with them.

8:00 AM  
Blogger B(O)B said...

A great blog today about the disaster in Haiti. Larger disasters with larger death tolls have occurred in our time but they have not been close to us: tsunami in Indonesia, quakes in China, Chile, Turkey, etc.

Pat Robertson is such a fraud/creep... just like Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, etc.

Just keep writtin' & I'll keep readin'.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle Montgomery Wright said...

I agree with u about the media. Anderson Cooper & Diane Sawyer could definitely lead in the relief effort. I bet they could get things shakin! No pun intended!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home