Saturday, January 17, 2009



My spouse and I have seen more movies, at the theater, in the past week than in the previous couple of years. They were all great. The last one was Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood. The story is fantastic but the language will offend some sensitive ears. Unfortunately, the language is true to life and the way many people talk. It makes the story more true to life. If goody-two-shoes language had been used the movie would not have been as effective in delivering the message it was meant to convey.

Just about every politically incorrect statement that could be made was made. I’m surprised it got past the censors with all the racial slurs. The N word wasn’t used but there really wasn’t an occasion to use it. Most of the slurs were against the Orientals.

In this movie, love and responsibility overcome the race issue. It’s about doing what is right regardless of race or anything else. I guess I liked it a lot because I could identify with the Clint Eastwood character in me. I don’t know if I would have the guts to do what he did but I would like to picture myself as having that much courage.

The Gran Torino is an old Ford that is Clint Eastwood’s prize possession and is in mint condition. The Eastwood character won a silver star in the Korean War but the Gran Torino is a greater prize than the medal. In this movie, it’s like a Congressional Medal of Honor.

I sure recommend this movie but it’s not for those who might be offended by the language or for those who live in a bubble not knowing how the real blue collar Joe, the minorities and the gangs of the inner city live. I’m just thankful I live on the porch and can be a Clint Eastwood character in my imagination

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home