Wednesday, January 09, 2008

r

I have been away from the blog for a few days. My partner and I have been helping out with a couple of my very close kin. They are very elderly and have dementia. One is in an advanced stage of Alzheimers. I have seen many bad things in my life but nothing is worse than losing your mind. I guess it’s not so bad for the victim, but for the caregiver it is hell. Being around these folks makes you wonder if it’s not contagious. Dementia is so common now and every time I can’t remember a name and every time my partner misplaces her purse I think we are getting this dreaded plague. Let’s see, what was I writing about?

In the normal person there seems to be an invisible mantle of inhibitions covering the brain that keeps unacceptable behavior and primitive instincts repressed in the subconscious. This mantle is a web of chemical transmitters. In dementia this mantle dissolves and all sort of weird behavior is manifest. The thought process becomes disassociated and haphazard until what you say or think makes no sense. This evil and bad behavior can also be released from the subconscious through trap doors in the mantle. Things like anger and drugs act like trap doors. The kin I have helped take care of this past week, certainly, have little mantle of inhibition left. They are not the people I once knew. It’s very sad.

The only amusement I’ve had all week is watching the election results and the activities of Britney Spears. Britney has no mantle of inhibition. It has been completely dissolved by drugs and alcohol. All the politicians say the same thing. The presidential candidates use the power of words to hypnotize the audience. They all promise great change for a government that will give us everything. Our whole brain is dissolved when we listen to them. My kin with dementia are fortunate about some things; they don’t have to listen to all the political garbage or bother with the misbehavior of Britney Spears or Paris Hilton.

Tomorrow, I will be back to my fortress of solitude on the porch. I will replace the TV with my world of books and stay off the highway. I will be back among the sane, namely, no one. It doesn’t get any better than that.

1 Comments:

Blogger jeff ludwick said...

It is, indeed, sad to witness or be a part of dementia or Alzheimers disease. The only thing that makes it bearable for me is to know that if it happens to me or to my home-boss that we will be taken care of. The reason I know that is that every pinhead politician is assuring me of free education, free healthcare, free lodging, free food and free just about everything else. I have always felt blessed but even more so now that I know that thanks to Hillary, Obama, etc. etc. that all my necessities are going to be provided to me without cost. I may even take early retirement and begin sitting at the Table of Knowledge at the Cactus Cafe in San Saba. Hope my dementia doesn't kick in and I forget how to get there.......

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home