Sunday, April 17, 2011


During my life, I have been fortunate enough to sit on some fairly important Boards and be advised by several knowledgeable people. All that has now passed. I now live a life of relative obscurity. My wife and children are my main advisors. Now, outside of the family my Barber would have to rank as my top advisor and primary source of information. I had rather sit in his shop and listen to him and his customers than for any Board meeting I could attend.

My barber is really a great source of useful and entertaining information. He is better than the internet, Wall Street Journal, local newspaper, CNN, Fox News, People magazine, Sports Illustrated and just about everything else combined. He is more accurate than most polls and is always correct in predicting the outcome of an election or the winner of a sporting event. What I like about him is that he is not the least bit arrogant about his encyclopedic knowledge. He also advises me about my yard, the weather and a host of other things pertinent to everyday living. Not only does he fill me with a head full of information and gossip, he makes me look good in the process. He administers a perfect haircut and trims all the excess hair growing form my eyebrows, nose and ears. I get a shoulder massage and a touch of hairspray to boot.

I only wish President Obama, Governor Rick Perry and some of our politicians could have him for a barber. I believe he would be able to help with some of our economic problems. Unfortunately, most would not buy into his recommendations because they would stress honesty and hard work.

The 12 dollars I pay for a haircut is well worth it. It’s a lot more than the 25 cents I paid when I was a kid but it’s much cheaper than a visit to a psychiatrist office or to a movie where I pay that much for a bag of popcorn and a coke.

My barber is growing old along with me. He now sits down to cut hair but does a fantastic job. Going to his shop has become one of the few reasons for me to leave the porch. I always come back looking a little better and a whole lot smarter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home