Monday, February 14, 2011


My spouse and I traveled to San Antonio this past weekend to hear my granddaughter perform in the All State Symphonic Orchestra. She made All State in Viola last year as a freshman and again this year as a sophomore. Needless to say, we are very proud of her and all my grandkids.

The Orchestra, along with All State Bands and Choirs perform at the TMEA (Texas Music Educators Association) Convention each year. This is a huge convention and the place was packed with proud parents, relatives, student musicians and their teachers. I was most impressed when the President of TMEA read out the statistics of the orchestra members. Their average SAT scores are far above the average student and one student even made a perfect 2400.

As I sat there and listened to this group of outstanding students perform I was comforted by the fact that these are our future leaders and teachers. I feel much more secure about the future of our country when these young folks take over. I don’t have a trained ear but they sounded as good as any professional symphony I have heard, and I have heard quite a few. Even though it was a hassle for old folks like me to go the concert, and fight the crowd, it made me feel great, and also thankful for the teachers and parents of these outstanding kids.

After that great experience, my spouse and I then watched the Grammy Awards last evening. Boy, was that a contrast to the All State Orchestra. The popular songs of today really make me feel old and out of touch. We listened to the awards and the performers in order to, at least, have a little knowledge of the pop stars, and be able to converse with our grandkids. We even listened to the interview with Lady Gaga on 60 minutes. A group called Arcade Fire won best album of the year with Suburbs. That group even had violins and violas playing (I think). Mostly, what Arcade Fire had was noise, loud drums and wild lighting. I became depressed all over again. The only thing that saved me with the Grammy show was the song “Need You Now” by Lady Antebellum. That song was semi-sane. An overweight Barbra Streisand singing “Evergreen” helped me stay tuned to the end.

Anyway after the Grammy Awards I’m ready to go back to the TMEA Convention and hear that great group of kids. I’m just too old for today’s music and put up with the likes of Lady Gaga. The porch looks better every time I leave it.

1 Comments:

Blogger B(O)B said...

Rita & I watched 60min and the Grammy's also. Our thoughts were exactly the same as yours. Miranda Lambert & Lady Antebellum were our favorites along with the Aretha Franklin songs sung by the 5 gals at the beginning. WOW! Congrats on your gdaughter's accomplishments. Life really is wonderful!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home